First, here is a "group shot" of a few of the flowers, just to give an idea of what they entailed.
I intentionally took this as a tight shot so that none of the flowers was shown in full. Essentially, I wanted the flowers, with their gorgeous colors, to fill the image. The nice thing about having the flowers in the house is that I could move them around to better capture the light, and I thought the petals might show better if they were being backlit. Here is one of those backlit shots.
Now the petals are more exciting and have a fiery aspect to them. However the central portion of the flower was simply uninteresting at close quarters, and I found myself cropping that portion down, as in the above shot.
Then I noticed the back of the flowers with their sepals that looked a bit like reptile scales with hairy edges and began shooting the backsides of the flowers rather than the fronts. Here are a few of those shots.
And here, finally, is a shot at a wider angle.
There is a prominent flaw in one of the petals, but I still like this shot, as well as some of the earlier ones, a lot.
For the record, these photos were shot at very high f-stops, ranging from f/45 to f/51, for exposures of 2-1/2 to 4 seconds. I found that I needed to underexpose these shots 1 to 2 f-stops to bring out the full colors of the petals.
I thought this series was serendipitous. I only take credit for recognizing what I had and attempting to take advantage of it.